- This event has passed.
Living on the Edge: An American Generation’s Journey through the Twentieth Century
April 7 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
Speakers: Glen Elder and Richard Settersten
Think about a generation that has experienced:
- economic prosperity, but also
- economic disruption and collapse
- rapid social changes and uncertainty
- the threat of an emerging world war
- a reorganization of marriage & of family roles
- riots in the streets
- a global pandemic
- a clash between strident conservativism and social revolution
This sounds like today, but actually describes the generation explored by Elder and Settersten in their new book “Living on the Edge: An American Generation’s Journey through the Twentieth Century” which follows the life course of a longitudinal panel from the 1900 generation.
Please join these two major thinkers in the field of Life Course Development to discuss parallels with the present generation and what we might learn from theirs in negotiating current challenges.
Co-sponsored by: IBS and the Departments of History, Sociology, and Psychology